The third of the Initiation Sacraments, Confirmation confers special graces of the Holy Spirit upon the person being confirmed/ As with Baptism, it can only be done once. Confirmation increases and deepens all the graces granted at Baptism.
As described in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, there are 5 effects of Confirmation:
- unites us more firmly to Christ
- increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us
- renders our bond with the Church more perfect
- it gives us a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word and action as true witnesses of Christ,
- to confess the name of Christ boldly, and never to be ashamed of the Cross.